June 7, 2011

The Boys Have Grown Up

Via Jak and Jill



"Personal Style is innovative yet intimate. It's a reflection of your aesthetic, beliefs, who you stand for and the relationship you have with the world. It has the power to speak volumes about you without having to vocalize a thing " Prabal Guring 

In honor of tonight's CFDA Fashion Awards I have been wearing my favorite items from the nominees all weekend. There's something about an entire industry coming together and supporting one another that I find touching. The CFDA provides much needed funding and mentoring to young designers. As a result of the CFDA's enormous success similar funds have been established in Paris and Milan, where young design talent typically is not nurtured. It is only fitting that I saved my beloved  Proenza Schouler skirt for last. 

Photographed by Karl-Edwin Guerre
Every time I unearth this skirt from my closet I get excited to wear it. I firmly believe that we should only buy items that we love to wear. This skirt is one of those pieces that signifies the start of summer and longer days ahead. When my friend asked to shoot me for a street style piece last summer he was a bit surprised when I came dressed in difficult to shoot white. My response was "but I always wear pieces that I love with a story."

This skirt was shown on the runway in a different color combination and with a few subtle variations. Months later at Proenza Schouler's  design studio this version was waiting to make its way into my closet. It had been overlooked because it wasn't the version that went into production. It's always fun to watch fashion people look at the skirt, identify its provenance and then debate whether to ask why they didn't see it on the runway or in stores. I love a unique piece. 

Via Jak and Jill
What I love most about Proenza Schouler is that I  understand the girl who they are designing for. She's a delicate balance of uptown refinement and downtown art world cool. The Proenza Schouler girl is effortless. The tailoring and construction is impeccable. Each season the designs are more refined, ladylike and grown up, which is logical because the designers are growing up. Yet they have managed to stay true to their aesthetic. I couldn't be happier to see Proenza Schouler take home the evening's top prize- Womenswear Designer of the Year. 

9 comments:

  1. I am so happy! I am though very surprised they haven't won before because I have loved their clothes from the very beginning, right from the start. I love all the success and accolade me boys are getting. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a great documentary on Proenza Schouler last year - The Day Before. The last 36 hours before a collection goes down the runway. The series featured a number of my favourite designers. Jack and Lazaro were not only showing their collection, they were moving house - it was so interesting to watch! I also love how they named their company after their mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy- Me too. In the past they have shared a CFDA award with Oscar de la Renta (there can be ties and you can win more than once). They also have one for accessory design- that satchel. Love it or hate it there is no denying that very few brands ever come up with such an iconic piece, let alone in the first ten years in business.

    Isn't it interesting to see the transformation from the very begining until now. There's been radical shifts in direction from season to season, but that doesn't negate the designers' identities.

    Alice Olive- "The Day Before" was a wonderful documentary.It featured a number of my favorite designers too. I think there's an authenticity to how they approach design and their lives in general. I LOVE that they named their company after their mothers. So special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. its so special to have a familiar yet unusual piece like that. ive always like the different sources of inspiration they bring, but as interpreted through their point of view, for a particular kind of girl, which you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Son- I think it's important for a wardrobe to have unusual pieces thrown in with the basics. That's key.

    It's so interesting to see the inspiration that they bring. I like that there's a narrative to the designs. They also make me rethink my ideas on consistency within a wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous skirt! I love PS but I'm afraid I'm not a PS girl (I'm just not that into color). Nonetheless, I do appreciate when a designer is so clear on what his (or their, in this case) vision is that he practically creates his own type of clientele. I think it's a talent that even non-clientele are able to appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 0000- Thank you! Fall 2011 was especially colorful. I shy away from color. I actually love Spring 2011 and when they focus on textures and shapes but stay to a black, navy palette. I like that there are clear references, yet they manage to create something new. It never feels derivative. The references aren't hitting you over the head, but they're there.

    Good craftsmanship is something that goes beyond consumerism, which is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Proenza Schouler is one of my favorites-their beautiful aesthetic eye and wonderfully crafted designs are awe-inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ella- So inspiring. What would the world be without inspiration?

    ReplyDelete