June 18, 2012

Carven Resort 2013

My Personal Photo

I had the honour of attending Carven’s Resort presentation last Tuesday. Those who follow this blog know that Carven is one of my favorite revivals. The dresses, coats and separates are always precise. The fabrics and quality are impeccable. As I chatted with the lovely KCD PR Executive Brie about Carven’s legacy, we agreed that the quality, craftsmanship and execution are rooted in the house’s couture heritage. 

Guillaume Henry’s ability to contrast modernity with heritage is at the forefront of what continues to draw me to Carven. Each collection features contrast and tension, whether it’s between modernity and heritage, the masculine and feminine, the playful and the intellectual or quotidian and spontaneity. 

On a gray, dreary, day (it was pouring, hot and humid) I couldn’t think of a more uplifting collection to view. The Summer 2013 “introduction” collection has the fresh, fun, coquettish spirit that I’ve come to expect. Upon entering the Meatpacking District presentation, I was instantly transported into an English Garden with bouquets of gorgeous flowers and models lounging on park chairs and perched on ladders. The inspiration was girls having tea or a picnic in the garden. These are clothes that I would wear to grab take away at Poilâne with the gentleman for a courtyard picnic.

My Personal Photo

The inspiration was Peter Schlesinger’s classic “A Chequered Past” (a wonderful photography book to get your hands on) which captures the allure and energy of London and all of its’ famous inhabitants in the late 1960s and early 1970s. You can imagine that the stylish women photographed in Schlesinger’s tome- Marisa Berenson, Jane Birkin, Marianne Faithful, Bianca Jagger and Paloma Picasso are the fabulous guests invited to the gathering. The Carven girl is very much still Parisian, but on holiday and being influenced by her travels. The beautiful prints and use of cashmere and silks spoke to this. 

The collection’s colors captures a true sense of optimism. It’s hard not to feel cheery in sorbet colors- pale limoncello yellow, mint green, blues, and persimmon (the gamine suit and little cocktail dress in persimmon were two of my favorites). To me, the strength of the collection is its ability to balances the things I’ve come to expect- gorgeous silhouettes (that are easy to wear), the dress with collar, the gamine suit, statement coats and jackets (they’re all quite cute), while presenting new silhouettes and proportions. Resort’s wide-leg silk pants (inspired by the girl's journey to India) and bohemian influence was a fresh take on silhouettes and proportion. 

Guillaume Henry knows his girl- she’s intellectual, but a bit mischievous. The eveningwear exemplifies the inherent sense of whimsy. She doesn’t take fashion too seriously. Each season, I admire how the hair and makeup compliments the clothing- loosely tousled hair or a casual bun, clean face, a bitten lip… This season was no different. 

*Complete collection here

21 comments:

  1. The "ability to contrast modernity with heritage" - so true of Carven and of so many designers who inspire me. I feel like I am always subconsciously looking for this contrast in the clothing and jewelry that I take home.
    Thank you for this charming and intelligent glimpse into the collection of one of my favourite designers. I don't know if anyone cuts a skirt suit better than Guillaume Henry. So fresh and whimsical, yet elegant at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ammu- I think that's really the core of what inspires me and what I'm naturally drawn to. It's interesting to see what we all prefer even on a subconscious level. I agree it is subconscious but I love having those contrasts- it makes things more interesting too.

      The cuts (especially the skirt suits) are so great. I really can't think of anyone cutting skirt suits that well consistently and there's always fresh subtle changes to them.

      That's a really good point about balancing whimsy and elegance. Oftentimes whimsical sacrifices elegance and sophistication- I love that Carven never compromises on elegance.

      Oh the looks just went up on Moda! -http://modaoperandi.com/carven-resort-2013/looks/

      Delete
  2. These clothes are beautiful, and great description...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel- Thank you! I think they're so beautiful and I'm constantly impressed by how well-made they are.

      Delete
  3. Love the colours and prints used! I love that some of the pieces are whimsical and fun, while the others are more grounded and serious. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. littlemissandrea- Such great colors and prints! Your so right- there's such a nice mix of pieces here without the collection being cumbersome. I'm so glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  4. Carven is one of those brands that I keep hearing more and more about but that I honestly don't have much background knowledge of. Making a mental note to look it up on my next rainy Sunday afternoon - the clothes are so very lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maja H- I know I talk about it all the time, but it's one of my favorite lines. It just has so much going for it.

      Bookmarking things for a rainy day is one of my favorite things.

      Delete
  5. This is such a great review, Lindsay. I love how you describe the collection right down to the details, history and the aesthetics. If it were me, I'd probably end up with a one letter word review - sophisticated (thanks to my lack of vocabulary!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate, Cookies & Candies- Thank you! That's so nice to hear. It's always a bit of a challenge when there are so many influence and things that make me excited.

      Oh, no! Your blog and writing is honestly so sophisticated. I'm always so impressed:)

      Delete
  6. Carven is a favorite, too! And your blog is such a pleasure to read! Definitely a favorite! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dora Panariti- Thank you for the sweet words. It's always to see a fellow Carven devotee comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I love Carven, too! I always feature their clothes and accessories in my Polyvore sets, haha. Great write up of the collection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catie Beatty- Thank you! So glad to see a fellow Carven lover. I need to take a look at your Polyvore sets:)

      Delete
  9. Must have been so much fun attending The Carven presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thea vintage- Yes it was such fun! I love the pre collections were designers show in a much more authentic manner- it makes it feel much more personal.

      Delete
  10. Guillaume Henry gets it right every time!

    http://herribbonsandherbows.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexandra- Yes he does and he's absolutely lovely too.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. a m o u r e t t e- Thank you! Such a beautiful collection indeed.

      Delete