July 9, 2012

House of Mirth



My Personal Photos

“Summertime is a good time to reexamine New York and to receive again the gift of privacy, the jewel of loneliness. In summer the city contains (except for tourists) only die-hards and authentic characters. No casual, spotty dwellers are around, only the real article. And the town has a somewhat relaxed air…”
- E.B. White from Here is New York


For those of you who celebrated the fourth, I hope you had a safe and relaxing holiday. My favorite days are the holidays where everyone heads out of the city. An empty city affords the luxury of being able to steal a few peaceful moments alone.

Being alone with ones thoughts is the ultimate small luxury. There’s something inherently elegant in taking pleasure in your own company. I find nothing more peaceful than a beautiful gilded age garden (straight out of the likes of Henry James or Edith Wharton.)

This secret garden, with its shaded nooks is perfect for those quiet moments of respite that are essential for recharging, reading a book, or a picnic for two. Rarely do I feel that spark when I visit a space, but this space, along with the Frick and Alder Manor* make me feel that little stroke of genius.  How beautiful would an editorial featuring Fall 2012 couture here be?

Do you have any spaces that inspire you or small luxuries?

* Who could forget that wonderful Grace Coddington line in The September Issue? Pure brilliance.

18 comments:

  1. What glorious pictures! I love New York anyway, but I think "your" New York has made me love the city even more. Hoping to make a visit next year :)
    I just returned from a very busy trip to Punjab. It was very productive and I met some fantastic people. And then to return to a Delhi where temperatures have fallen a little and the monsoon has started to trickle in - just wonderful. I can't wait to spend more time outside in the evenings, now that it's not so hot anymore. My favourite spots are Humayun's Tomb - a treasure that somehow doesn't attract the stream of tourists that other monuments in Delhi do, making it perfect for a quiet afternoon. And few gardens are as lovely as Lodhi Gardens - their bar on the balcony is the perfect spot for a expertly-made martini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ammu- Thank you! It's so funny how everyone has a different version of the city. Oh yes- you should come to New York!!! It's been a bit too hot on the hundred degree plus days to take advantage of the gardens, but now that the weather is less extreme I'm really looking forward to it.

      That's great that your trip was productive. That's always such a nice feeling. That's great about the temperature change in Delhi. I love quiet places. The Lodhi Gardens look like paradise- definitely on the list for my India trip:)

      Delete
    2. Oooh, do you have a trip planned? Would love to show you around x

      Delete
    3. Ammu- Would love that! Hoping for next year but you'll be the first to know once I have something booked:)

      Delete
  2. This looks so wonderful! Longing to take trip to NYC soon again.
    My blooming balcony inspires me and my country house! The sea and the views makes me harmonic and filled with inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thea Vintage- You should!

      I love balconies and teracces. They're litle oasises in urban life.

      Sea views make me so happy;)

      Delete
  3. Like Ammu I am hoping to visit NY next year. You make it sound wonderful :)

    My favorite inspiring place is my parents' house. I love to spend summer evenings out on their veranda with a book or maybe eating a good meal. It is out in the Norwegian countryside, and it is so peaceful compared to my city apartment. I just breathe differently there.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/majapiraja/4065179807/in/set-72157622711140786

    That's the view. The place is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maja H- You should!

      There's no place like home:) This view is amazing. I could just sit there for hours- thank you so much for sharing. I know exactly what you mean about the air in the countryside- so refreshing.

      Delete
  4. Great shot! I love gardens and this one really is fitting for a picnic. Gardens and mountain views really top my list. Got my eye on your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeane M.- Thank you! Mountain views are amazing too.

      Delete
  5. I love my countryside walks. Funnily enough, I think the best time to visit Paris is in August when everyone has fled to Cote d'Azur. The same applies for Londoners except this time it'll be heaving there seeing that it's the Olympics. I'm planning to stay far faaaar away from London until September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate, Cookies & Candies- I love your countryside walks too. The pictures are always so amazing. I can only hope that one day i'll be able to better document my walks;)

      Do stay far away from London- I can't imagine what a mob scene it will be.

      Delete
  6. those are beautiful pictures!!! i love countryside, green and park. place of silence and peace!

    xoxo, Haus of Gala

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. prettymeggy- Thanks! Countryside and green spaces are so good for that. I couldn't agree more.

      Delete
  7. gorgeous photos!

    lots of love from the c&p girls,
    www.casperandpearl.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Petrichore- Thanks! Hope your summer is going well.

      Delete