April 24, 2012

Talking Fashion With Dries Van Noten


Courtesy of FIAF
``I’m more inspired by things which I don’t like…. Nothing is so boring as something beautiful. I prefer ugly things, which are surprising… You force yourself to ask yourself questions. ” 

Those of you who follow me on twitter heard my dilemma; whatever do you wear to an evening with Sir Dries Van Noten? Dries Van Noten is a designer I admire for his aesthetic, as well as the manner in which he runs his business. I’m very methodical when it comes to shopping, so it’s rare that I regret leaving an item behind in the store. The few exceptions have been Dries Van Noten pieces (a pair of shorts of all things), that I continually dream about.
I’m drawn to the subtlety that’s inherent in Dries Van Noten’s designs. His aesthetic is informed by color, fabric, print and texture, but done in such a subtle and composed way that’s unique. It was a pleasure to attend the French Institute Alliance Francaise’s third and final Fashion Talk of 2012 with Mr. Noten a few weeks ago. It was such an honor to hear the designer, who shuns promotional talks, speak so candidly about his process. 

It has often been asked if Mr. Noten is shy. He is not. In an hour he touched on so many facets of the complicated fashion industry with great generosity. Mr. Noten is unassuming, quiet and orderly. Much like his beautiful garden in Lier, Belgium. After each of Pamela Goblin’s questions, Mr. Noten would take the time to carefully consider what was being asked and to reply in a precise, articulate manner. My friend and I left that evening feeling as though, Mr. Noten had said everything he could possibly say, which is quite a feat for someone whose work truly speaks for itself. 
When asked about his approach to fashion, he mentioned that the only way to make the clothes he wanted to make was to start his own company. Dries Van Noten reaffirmed his contentment as an independent designer by stating “I like my independence, the possibility that I can do whatever I want. My design style is a natural thing. You put colors together. It’s me asking myself a lot of questions.” He repeatedly extolled the value of being able to follow his own rhythm as a designer. For Mr. Noten, this means foregoing pre-collections (the complexities of his fabric creations and the time involved renders this impossible). It also means prioritizing designing clothing over more lucrative accessories. It’s clear that he relishes being able to grow at his own pace.
Dries Van Noten's charming garden in Lier Via Vogue. Scans by me.
It was invaluable to hear about Mr. Noten’s unique business approach.  He stated that  when designing, "It’s a story. It’s not a person. I don’t have a muse. [Then] you have to choose a model. Then people will say, that is the only kind of person to wear the clothes and that is not for me.” There was a sheer joy when Mr. Noten spoke of the possibilities of playing with color, considering fabrics and choosing which style of garment to work with. I really appreciate the careful way that Dries Van Noten balances feminine and masculine textures, patterns, colors and shapes. It was beautiful to see his desire to create new volumes and proportions for every body type each season. This shouldn’t be a novelty, but sadly many designers refuse to acknowledge this. 
Mr. Noten cited that the greatest compliment as a designer was having people wear his clothes. When you don’t advertise, people purchase the clothes for the clothes, and not  for the brand, which is what Mr. Noten strives for. As both Creative Director and CEO of the brand, I enjoyed hearing his position on fashion shows. “Fashion shows are really my way of communication. I don’t go on Twitter. I don’t go to parties. I don’t often do fashion talks like this. So for me, it’s really what I want to communicate. It’s the end of the story… So the venue, the light, the location, the sound, the hair, the makeup, all makes it for me. You have ten minutes to explain to your audience what you are doing, what you want to tell. So everything has to be perfect.” As you know, I find such inspiration in considering all of the factors that go into a good fashion show. 
The perfect trench to wear when tending to that beautiful garden Via FirstView
I also loved hearing how special and personal the Paris store is to him. In keeping with the organic manner in which he runs his business, he was searching for a showroom, when he fell in love with the space. The Paris and Hong Kong boutiques are two of my favorite retail spaces- such beautiful environments that are truly expressive of the brand. Although what stood out most from the evening was the wonderful advice and reminder to "take your time..."

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely write-up. And what a great opportunity to hear him speak. Am a huge fan of his work. As for taking one's time, I think it's the best advice when it comes to most things. That, and 'follow your instinct'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ammu- Thank you! That's such a compliment coming from you:)

      It was such a great opportunity to hear him speak. He was just so concise and focused- it made me really excited to think about my own career and development. There was just so much that he touched on- it really took a while to take it all in. I'm such a huge fan of his work- it's always on point.

      "Follow your instincts" is such good advice. I feel like I've really honed that confidence in my instincts in the last few years.

      Delete
  2. Agreed with Ammu that your write up is absolutely lovely. I swear it's almost like being there for the talk. My love for DVN's work grows over time and he's really up there on my list of favourites. I can't believe I didn't know of his Hong Kong boutique but now that I do I can't wait to stop by and check things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy- Thank you! That's such a lovely thing to say. Yes, he's on my short list of favorites for sure. I also can't say enough how much I love the philosophy behind the designer and his business acumen.

      The Hong Kong Boutique is really charming and the staff is really welcoming and sweet.You must check it out!

      Delete
  3. I really adore him and his work as well. I personally don't own anything of his...yet. But I plan to. What a lovely right up. I also agree with the beautiful boring remark. Things that everyone considers beautiful can get quite boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AM- Thank you. I love that he challenges himself to look beyond the obvious, beautiful things. It just seems much more meaningful.

      Delete
  4. I've heard rave reviews of his clothes but that's the extent of my knowledge about Dries Van Noten. I will have to take another look at his designs. These days, it's really rare to see a designer who doesn't advertise nor promote because these days, it's all about the media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate, Cookies & Candies- I have such a love for gorgeous textures and fabrics so I really appreciate Dries Van Noten's creativity there. I also love how precisely tailored everything is. I'm very when it comes to prints (stripe might as well be a print to me), but I love when they're well executed.

      It is rare to see a designer who isn't advertising or courting the media, but really refreshing. He made really interesting comments about how so many things are conveyed or inferred about who wears the clothes when you advertise.

      Delete
  5. thanks for the support, your blog is awesome too :) <3

    girlymd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. girlymd- Of course! I love that you have that outlet.

      Delete
  6. I am a new reader of your blog and really enjoy your writing. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. luvg1rl- Welcome! I love meeting new readers.

      You made my day!

      Delete