June 20, 2011

Happy Father's Day


My Personal Photos

"You Can Never Be Overdressed or Overeducated"  Oscar Wilde


Mothers get all of the attention on personal style blogs, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention my dad. He is surprisingly knowledgeable when it comes to matters of style. Perhaps years of hearing my mother and I banter on about fashion wore him down. Regardless of the subject he's always open to learning. I feel truly blessed to have grown up in this environment.

"You Can Never Be Overdressed or Overeducated" is the type of advice my dad would offer. He always knows when it's appropriate to don a sports coat, suit or tuxedo. Who else would have guided my brothers on what business casual means in very conservative fields? I have often mentioned that when it comes to matters of style- you have to understand the classics before you can make your own mark. In my dad's case his mark breaks all of the rules. 

My dad's sartorial signature is the baseball cap. Not just any baseball cap will do. My dad would never wear a baseball cap with a sports team emblazoned across the front. He has a penchant for caps from Harvard Business School, Princeton and the University of Virginia (where his kids went and are going to school). If my dad is not in a suit or formal attire, then he is wearing one of these caps. There's no playing favorites- he wears them all equally. My mother, brothers and I have tried to coax him into other types of hats, but he always returns to his collection of university caps. He has a very diverse collection. My dad values education immensely, but even more importantly he is extremely proud of his children. It's a pride that I truly cannot articulate in words.

Happy Father's Day to all of the amazing dads out there. Happy Father's Day to all of the men who play fatherlike roles in someone's life. Most importantly, Happy Father's Day to my own father, who just might be the proudest dad ever.

7 comments:

  1. Awww...such a sweet post. It's fantastic to see how close you are to your family.
    On an aside, I love Brooks Brothers - when I lived in London, I would buy all my shirts there. Their palette - all those light blues and blush pinks - is so flattering to the complexion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touching post! Your Dad is SO PROUD of you guys. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ammu- Thanks! My colleague was actually saying the same thing.

    I love the shirts at Brooks Brothers. I can never find the right fit in button downs, but I like that they don't change their formula. The light blues and blush pinks (my favorite) are so pretty. I also secretly really enjoy shopping for menswear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet! I love Brooks Brothers for gifts - hope you had a fantastic day with your dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricia- Thanks! I think that's the only way to decribe it- sheer pride.

    Katherine- We did have fun! I really love Brooks Brothers for gifts. It's my go to for my dad along with books. It's so fun to shop for men.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a lovely post about your dad and also seemed very personal. The gift seems great, I am not familiar with Brooks Brothers but the shirts look like something my dad would wear.

    I hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meri- Thank you for stopping by the blog. Brooks Brothers is the oldest mens clothier chain in the US. It's perfect shopping for dads and dapper workwear for men in general.

    Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete